Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Wit Without Wisdom

[With regret, the following comments remain intact to demonstrate what a 'windbag' I really am for making multiple, unwarranted assumptions about the supposed intent of the topic discussed in this blog entry. If only I hadn't asked the opinions of others as to what their intepretation of the opening words of Dan DeWitt's column.

I could easily have deleted this blog. I could also attempt to run away from the inconsiderations given to one of the most prolific writers whose articles and columns have informed and entertained me for all the years I've lived in Hernando County. But... I could never hide from the fact that my knee-jerk reaction to Dan DeWitt's column didn't end up hitting me squarely in the...]


"If you don't want to read what a blowhard columnist thinks about Brooksville's red-light camera program, at least pay attention to Bill Eppley."

The comment was made in reference to The Rae Way column printed in Hernando Today on October, 7, titled "Red-light cameras generate lots of green, few laughs".

This is the first sentence in an article printed in the Hernando Times on October 9, 2009, aw written by Dan DeWitt.

As a response to the statement, an email has been sent to Paul Tash, President of The St. Petersburg Times:

To:
timespresident@sptimes.com

Mr Tash,

I wish to express my dismay and concern about a column printed on Friday, October, 9th, in Hernando Times.

Dan DeWitt made a simple comment in the column "Is red-light program for safety or income?" that I felt was, at first, amusing but has become of personal concern as to the intent and purpose for writing:

"If you don't want to read what a blowhard columnist thinks about Brooksville's red-light camera program, at least pay attention to Bill Eppley." The full context of the article isn't important.

There can be no doubt the comment was in reference to The Rae Way column, "Red-light camera generate lots of green, few laughs" that was printed in the Wednesday, October 7, edition of Hernando Today.

Mr. DeWitt's calling me "a blowhard" could easily be intepreted as a derogatory remark in reference to my being gay, of which I wrote about in Hernando Today when Amendment 2 was a voter issue. I don't lisp, I'm not limp-wristed. Therefore, no one would otherwise be aware of the fact.

I know this is an assumption on my part, but I imagined words such as "queer" and "faggot" being thought or spoken as the "blowhard" was being typed.

But I cannot assume there should be no concern on my part that homophobic people are in every community and that, as in the case of Matthew Shepard eleven years ago this Monday, October 12, crimes of hate are a reality. I admit this thought is way out their in rightwing field but the possibility cannot be ignored.

What makes me more livid than anything else it that, as a follow up to last Wednesday's column, this week's column will take the topic of red-light running a step further, centering on those who have lost loved ones and the organizations that support stricter laws above a mere traffic citation with a fine that doesn't necessarily change people's driving habits.

Since there are times that my research on subjects lead to thoughts that go beyond the 800 words alloted. So, when the subsequent column is printed, it will appear as though I was baited by Mr. DeWitt's comment.

I'm not the degreed jounalist as a assume Mr. DeWitt is. I have no degree in any field. But, going back three years now, I have submitted letters to numerous newspapers, including the Times, the Tribune, the Tallahassee Democrat, the Miami Herald and most recently, The Baltic Times! It's been fun, more so when I had graduated to having full columns printed in both Hernando Today and Hernando Times.

Jeff Webb was very supportive of my contributions but the interest from Hernando Times ebbed when Jeff retired. Therefore, I devoted my efforts to Bob Nolte and subsequently Chris Wessell who, a few months ago, offered me to have my own column.

Anyway, what I request of you is to remove my name from the Time's website search engine. It's a pity but, by the time you recieve this way-too-long email, I will have canceled my newspaper subscription but will continue to read the Times either through a neighbor's kindness or, primarily on Sundays, purchase newstand issues. The Wall Street Journal will replace the St Petersburg Times for delivery.

The innocent victim to this action is the delivery person. Fortunately, he/she will continue to place The New York Times at my front door.

Please, no apologies from any source. I just want this to be behind me.

Ron Rae


The Rae Way column "Red-light cameras generate lot of green, few laughs" can be viewed at:
http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2009/oct/06/red-light-cameras-generate-lots-green-few-laughs/columnists/


[Even now, I'm still tempted to hit the 'Delete' button on the Edit page of this blog. As if I could actually allow self-righteousness to overrule my admission of guilt and sincere remorse for my reactions.]

No comments:

Post a Comment